Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Soothsayer of Gloom Over Doom

Nocturnal Wanderings

I went to see a movie last night. I almost don't even care to write about the disaster (no pun intended) that is 2012.

To preface this, I am a big fan of post apocalyptic movies. Truly. Waterworld? OMFG, give me a webbed footed Kevin Costner any day! Day After Tomorrow? Not the the best disaster film, but very, very watchable. Armageddon? I haven't actually met anyone on this earth who doesn't have a soft spot in their heart for this film, basically because it is ah-may-zing! And the list continues.

I also want to highlight the would-be love of my life that is John Cusack. The man is a fucking legend and has done so many incredible and unconventional movies, while still maintaining an elusive appeal and being so goddamn cute while doing it.

There's also the popcorn factor. I enjoy films more if I have a salty, buttery bag o' popcorn on my knee, dripping grease all over the shop. However, I never buy popcorn outside of the cinema. I just don't care for it out of context, really. And, usually, I'm all for living outside the proverbial box, but not when it comes to movies, cinemas and popcorn.

So, John Cusack plus disaster movie plus popcorn equals a good film, right? I'm sorry to tell you (and to realise it myself) that the formula failed me last night. For a consumer of end-of-the-world movies, it was bad.

Pros:

The cast: What a cast!! John Cusack (big love), Amanda Peet (oh so cute!), Oliver Platt (c'mon, Lake Placid!!), Chiwetel Ejiofor (Kinky Boots*), Woody 'crazy dude' Harrelson, the Russian dude with the big lips, the list goes on and on and on... With a cast like this, the movie should have had me foaming at the mouth with doomsday glee.

There were definite parts where I was enthralled. The CGI of the world being destroyed was incredible. Earthquakes, volcano's, tsunamis, ash fallouts...those tech guys did a really good job of it.

Cons:

The length. Holy dear mother of Nathan. Two and a half hours of squirmy seat action because my ass had fallen asleep and I wanted to get up and move around. (kind of like this tedious entry...I will understand if you feel the need to get up and stretch now.)

They seem to have spent all their money by the time they got to the end of the production. There was a couple of scenes at the end that were so made-for-tv that I cringed! It looked as though they threw buckets of water on people and told them to shuffle left, no right, no left, for real this time.

The plot. Now, I know it may be too much to ask for a decent plot in these types of film, but they are all so similar: An estranged/irresponsible father trying to save his family from destruction. And, the ending. The Ending....10 seconds from running into a peril, and suddenly, the world is saved. I hate that. Hate! Loathe, even. Kill them all and make a better movie.

The last con had nothing to do with the movie, as such. The cinema was so cold. Why do they keep the air conditioning in them on so high? I was almost wishing for a Snuggie so I could stop shivering.

*If you haven't seen Kinky Boots, Rick, get it. Immediately. It's so good. So good, in fact, my iPod is called "Red is the Color of ..."

Food Challenge November 2009 edition:

I fell off the wagon yesterday. I forgot my lunch midway into my walk to work. I hemmed and hawed about telling Hodge that I had to buy food, and decided to, since he has something that closely resembles honor (where the hell did he get that come from?), and out of guilt, more than anything else, I texted and asked for a pass.

He forgot his lunch, too, so, technically we're both losers but, at least, the challenge still remains.

I made a crazy good pizza, all from scratch, in spite of my gross ineptitude in the kitchen on Monday. I used this pizza dough recipe, which I think makes a nice thin, crispy base and roasted sweet potato, onion, carrot and garlic for the top (400 F for 30 minutes). Also, grabbed a bunch of cheese offcuts from Capers and threw that on, with some tomato paste that I just tossed random stuff into (mayonnaise, chicken seasoning and basil[all I had/have]). Excellent.

This entry has gotten away from me and I have realised that I do have other stuff to do!

-Ebert in training - Anna

1 comment:

  1. I found a mug this week, sitting alone, in a long, dark, corridor outside a lecture hall. Every day it was there, the same position, no one claiming ownership. On Friday, I noted that someone had disposed of their apple core in the mug. I wonder if my mug knows your mug?

    ReplyDelete